Saturday, June 17, 2006

Training Log Entry #52: Mock Race Day

Well not exactly a mock race. I swam in the morning, probably about a mile. It's hard to tell because the current was pretty strong. I was definitely swimming for a while and working hard. Then I had to do chores (and spend Daddy time with Alexandra at the beach), so I didn't get to ride and run until this afternoon. The ride was 19.75 miles with one steep climb, and the run was 4 miles. I wanted to set a benchmark time for comparison as the summer goes on. The total time (bike/run) was 1:23:41. The ride was around 56:30 and the transition and run the rest. I figure the run was in the 25 minute neighborhood (6:15 per mile).

The bike average of 21 miles per hour is not great, but I was on my road bike with no aero equipment, and in traffic. And I'm not that strong on my bike right now. I'd like to see this get to the 23 - 24 mph area.

However, I'd call it reasonably successful session. It was hot and I handled the heat pretty well. I ran pretty well despite not really doing lots of speed work, and I feel pretty good now. I'll do this again in two weeks on my TT bike and see how I stack up.

The numbers:

4 miles run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 447.47
MTG (Miles to Goal): 752.53
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.61

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 382.75
# of Rides: 15
M/RD: 25.52