Sunday, June 11, 2006

Training Log Entry #50

First "real" workout since the race. I did swim a couple of times and ride my trainer for 45 min. as well this week, but the 10.8 miles put in on the road today represent my longest period of exertion since Sunday. I didn't run quickly, but rather just focused on running in rhythm and cruising along. The watch stayed home. It was tough running when I feel like my cycling really needs the attention, but my plan all along has been to run first and then build up my bike, so I'm sticking to the plan. I race next in July, on consecutive weekends, so we'll see how I fare then.

One element I'm adding into my training/racing is the inclusion of shorter, intense effort. The 10 mile TT and Sprint triathlons were my bread and butter in 2002. Short power full efforts got be extremely competitive in those. However, I was also able to ride a 56 mile 1/2 Ironman bike leg in under 2:30 that year. So that's the plan. Sure some long rides will be incorporated, but the power and muscle efficiency is what I believe is really missing. Wish me luck.

The numbers:

10.8 miles run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 437.07
MTG (Miles to Goal): 762.93
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.74

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 346
# of Rides: 13
M/RD: 26.6