Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Training Log Entry #42

This might have been one of the first days, at least since the winter, where I made myself go out despite questionable weather. Typically I try to avoid this, as it makes the runs too much like work. Today, however, getting in a run was important in that it set up the rest of the week's workouts. Missing today would have made properly arranging the rest of the week much more difficult. It also served as a good confidence boost. I haven't been running that much since I've been back on the bike. Training for three disciplines is just really tough to schedule. Anyway there's a fear that by not running I'm losing speed. So today I did a couple of one mile repeats. It was cool, raining and windy. The first interval was with a quartering tail wind an slightly downhill (with a steep down pitch at the end). I ran a 5:39 without much real strain, and wasn't that surprised. The test was running that mile in reverse; quartering head wind, rain picking up, uphill (steep up pitch at the beginning). Ran a 5:59. It wasn't easy but that was pretty satisfying. This was a tough mile to run. I feel a little more secure that, even if I've dropped a little, I haven't dropped too much speed. Weather permitting next week will be a big run week. This week is actually a big swim week.

Saturday will be my check to see if I'm about ready for the 1/2 Iron. I'm doing a hilly 50 mile ride/8.5 mile run brick down at my in-law's house.

The numbers:

6.5 miles run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 364.67
MTG (Miles to Goal): 835.33
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.68

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 135
# of Rides: 5
M/RD: 27