Sunday, April 30, 2006

Training Log Entry #40: Ouch

I've officially transitioned into triathlon training, and while today's workout was not a brick, I did a double session: 10.8 mile run followed by a 30 mile bike later in the day. I wanted to run first because I wanted the legs to be fresh. This was the quality workout of the day. Too often I think triathlete's either forget about the run completely (there are so many cool toys for your bike) or just do a bike/run brick. Well here's a lesson for you: To run faster you have to run faster. Thanks Yogi! Seriously though, if you are always running with tired legs, you are running a higher risk of injury (I know this for a fact), and you can't go fast enough to get faster. The second workout of a double session or a brick, in my opinion, is ALWAYS a quantity workout, not a quality workout. Face it, the brick isn't about getting better as you get tired. It's about getting less bad. Everyone slows down as the race progresses. If you slow less, you're doing well.

So back to the workouts. The total time out was just shy of 3 hours. Doing the math, it is my longest training day of the year. It was also windy as hell, which made my lack of leg power on the bike almost laughable. My power is WAAAYYY low, but my fitness is really good. Despite struggling mightily in the wind, my heart rate didn't really accelerate a bunch. I'm hopeful that the strength will come around quickly. If so my next race, a 1/2 Iron the first weekend in June, should be pretty good. Right now I'm a little spent.

The numbers:

10.8 miles run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 351.17
MTG (Miles to Goal): 848.83
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.78

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 77
# of Rides: 3
M/RD: 25.67