Monday, April 17, 2006

Training Log Entry #36: The Race

Okay, I've already written a lot on the significance of the race. It was a very good day. It was also very fulfilling because I 1) thought I could do it, 2) honestly tried to do it, and 3) did it.

One piece I did not discuss was the part my sweat rate and hydration testing, documented in the various long runs, played. Rather than blindly taking a cup every station, which would have been every mile, I calculated how much I needed per hour and then paid attention to approximately how much Gatorade was in each cup handed to me. Some would have about 3 or 4 ounces while others had 6 or more ounces in them. By tracking the total I drank and subtracting that from what my training told me I needed per hour, I was able to skip a total of 6 or 7 stations during the race, at a time savings of 10 seconds or so per station (not to mention the energy saved by avoiding excessive slowing, accelerating, and "jockeying" for position).

Anyway, here are the numbers:

26.2 intense miles

Terrain: Asphalt/Concrete/Train Tracks/drunks...

YTD Mileage: 324.87
MTG (Miles to Goal): 875.13
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 9.02