Saturday, March 04, 2006

Training Log Entry #21:The wake up call.

I usually post after the run, and I will update this upon completion, but in case I don't return I thought I should leave a clue to my whereabouts. I'm embarking on the first trip around the Ocean Drive this year. 18 miles. Normally not an issue, but it's cold-ish and snowy. I'll post the results in a few hours.

Just got back. 2:10 even (I've done under 2:05). About 2 1/2 minutes slower coming back from the point than going out, and most of that was dropped in the last 4 miles. I needed this. It was the reminder of just what running distance means. After 13 - 15 miles, it's a whole new ball game. While it was dry and quite sunny, the conditions were far from perfect for running: 32 degrees (with wind chill 23 degrees), windy, sloppy, and a VFW gathering to circumnavigate. But nonetheless this is the reality check that tells me I could maybe manage a 3:10 - 3:12 marathon right now. So there it is; I need to find at least 5 minutes in the next 6 weeks. It could be a pretty tall order. If only Boston were in May... The silver lining would be if my legs snap back quickly.

The numbers:

18 miles.

Terrain: Cement/Asphalt/Slush

YTD Mileage: 173.85
MTG (Miles to Goal): 1026.15
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.28

I also got my first sweat rate numbers of the year.

Starting Weight:165.5
Finish Weight: 162
Weight of Fluid Consumed: 3

Total fluid loss from activity, ~6.5 pounds or ~ 3/4 gallon.

Okay, update: Six weeks before the Cape Cod Marathon I turned in a 2:08 on that loop. I also peaked 2 weeks too early for Cape Cod (where I ran a 3:06:01). So if I can keep the Mo' from here on out, I have a chance to hitting it just right for Boston. Thanks to this wonderful thing called a blog, I can check my training notes and hopefully learn a lesson from the past.