Saturday, February 18, 2006

Training Log Entry #16

Time trial morning. Same loop and direction as time trial #1 (Log Entry #8). Cloudy with a stiff westerly breeze, and an air temperature of 28 degrees as start time. This morning I tried to prepare as if it were race day, and had set a target time of 1:10. If I beat the time I might well race in Hyannis next week (1/2 marathon). If not I'd use next weekend to go long. I wasn't sure how I'd do, because as you can see from the log, I've only been getting about 2 runs in per week.

I started fast, maybe too fast, and felt a little residual fatigue in my legs from the mile repeats I had done on Weds. The first split confirmed I had gone out fast, as I was almost one and a half minutes ahead of my previous time. Then I turned into the headwind section past second and first beach, about 2 miles. It was work, however when I checked my next split I had continued to gain. By the end, despite never feeling really comfortable, I finished over 4 minutes ahead of my previous time. The result was a pretty acceptable 1:07:57.

I still don't know if I'll race next weekend, but at least I know I've got enough speed to do okay if I do.

The numbers:

10.8 miles.

Terrain: Blacktop

YTD Mileage: 131.00
MTG (Miles to Goal): 1069.00
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.19