Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Training Log Entry #15

Number 15 is finally in the books. Between the weather and some knee irritation after Saturday's run (probably the sand), I got back in the swing of things on the indoor track at URI. Yes, it's sunny and 50 degrees out, but the roads are sloppy and narrow, and the bike path is impassable. The workout was 3 one mile repeats with a 200m walk between miles (1 mile warm-up and 1 mile warm-down). The goal was consistency, with a target around 6 min. per mile. I have not had the watch on for any track sessions this year, so I didn't know what to expect.

My mile times were:
1) 5:48
2) 5:50
3) 5:46

I didn't puke, so the effort was about what I had planned (95% or so).

Best guess is an all out effort in the mile would only shave 20 seconds or so. I'm finding as I age the gap between a max. effort and a hard tempo pace has narrowed significantly. Thus I focus on the long distance events where this sort of thing is a plus.

Here are the numbers:

5.25 miles.

Terrain: Poured Rubber

YTD Mileage: 120.20
MTG (Miles to Goal): 1079.80
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.01