Thursday, January 05, 2006

Training Log Entry #2

5 mile run today at the indoor track on the URI campus. That's 5 miles on a 200m track. That's 40 laps. This was a mental workout as much as anything. Mile 2 had 8 x 50m accelerations and miles 3 and 4 had progressive buildups in speed every 400m to the 1200m point, with a cool down for the final 400m.

Interesting note, to me anyway. Have you ever watched track on TV? It's pretty impressive how fast they run, but let me tell you, it's nothing like seeing it in person. As I worked out on the track, a few of the URI sprinters were practicing starts and doing strides on the track. This one guy in particular was amazing. His leg turnover was a blur, a literal blur. To paraphrase my freshman rowing coach Sid Burke, "I started thinking you guys look pretty good, and then the Varsity rowed by and I remembered what real rowing looks like." Today I was reminded what real running looks like. Wow.

5 miles with some light speed.

Clear, calm, very dry ~75 degrees.

YTD Mileage: 11.75
MTG (Miles to Goal): 1188.25