Sunday, September 18, 2005

"Sometimes you gotta say 'What the f---, make your move.'"

"Joel, every now and then, saying 'What the F---', brings freedom."

That's was the theme of today's workout, and I know I'm going to pay for it. The schedule called for my long steady run, 18 miles or so around Ocean Drive. I hadn't slept too well because Leanna had been up sick, and despite the reasonable air temperature there was not a cloud in the sky which can make the drive, and it's limited cover, quite a death march. For whatever reason, though, I started off at a pretty good clip covering the first 5 miles about a minute faster than my previous fastest time. I forced myself to relax and at the next timecheck found I was still accelerating. I was on a good day with a P.R. a distinct possibility, so despite the schedule's call for moderation, I thought "What the f---." I can count on one hand the number of really good days training I've had this year, and I'd still have a couple of fingers leftover.

I rounded the 1/2 way 1:45 ahead of my P.R. The second 1/2 started to hurt though, and with 5 miles to go I was stuggling to keep my fast turnover. However, though the wheels wobbled, they didn't fall off and I came in at 2:07:59, a P.R. by 1:30. Sure I dropped 15 seconds on the second 1/2, but I knew I would and I'll take the P.R. anyday.

Tomorrow I'm going to be sore. Looks like a day for the Pool.