Saturday, September 03, 2005

A Good Day

Okay, I don't right too much about my specific workouts in this blog (I know, "Yeah right!"), but I am going to add a few lines about today. I did my loop around the Ocean Drive in Newport. All in all it's about 18 miles, give our take a little. The last time I ran it was early July, and the last time I ran it without riding 35 - 50 miles on a bike first was sometime in May. My target time was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My July run was 2:18 (following a ~50 mile bike). My best time was about 2:12 .

It's been six weeks since Ironman, and I was curious if I was past the residual fatigue. I figured I was in the clear based on last week's race, but this run would tell me for sure. Something about hitting the hard concrete at mile 11 (Bellevue Ave. in Newport) that keeps things honest. If you've weakened at all, the wheels can just fall right off, so to speak, because the surface is noticeably harder than even asphalt.

To make a long story short: The wheels stayed on. I finished in 2:09:30, my new fastest time, and I proceeded to fulfill my role as Daddy for the rest of the day (no naps).

This was a good day.