Sunday, August 28, 2005

Gotta stay positive.

I raced today, first time since Ironman. As usual I set three goals:
Top 20 overall
Top 3 age group
Match my 2002 run split.

If you've been following along, I've been having running issues for a while now. I've "reinvented" my running stride and mechanics in an effort to get some speed back, and do so in a way the protects my ankles better. To this end I've been running more than riding lately, with an occasional swim thrown in (both my pools are closed so I only can swim when I get to the ocean).

I'll skip the war story and get to the stats:
21st overall (out of 500)
4th age group (out of 61)
Beat my 2002 run split by a few seconds (this is also 2 minutes faster than last year).

Okay, I'm ALWAYS guilty of finding the dark lining in the silver cloud. The overall and age group results have been bugging me. The reason I missed my goals has to do with a really, really slow swim. The funny thing is, though, I didn't feel like a swam that poorly. I didn't wear a wetsuit and I did wear my new, ill-fitting team uniform top on the swim. Everyone else was in full wetsuits. It was a calculated risk on my part, and apparently it didn't pan out. My swim rank was 143rd, and though I'm slow, I'm not that slow.

So here I am dwelling on the stupid swim, and missing the most important element of the race: I can run again. It's been a long time since I've sniffed 40 minutes for 10K. My last 10K after a 40K bike, was on July 2nd and that was a 42:01 (and I ranked 43rd on the swim, which is closer to my norm ;-) ). So I crushed that. Time to lighten up.

I'd like to think if I was racing more, like 2002 when I raced A LOT, I wouldn't get so bummed about the results, but that's crap. It's just the way I am. Races for me are about confronting my own mania. My challenge has always been, and will continue to be going a little easier on myself. So in that spirit, I think I'll have me a Mojito!

**Footnote** The significance of the 2002 season is that it is the year I acheived USA Triathlon All-American honors.