Thursday, June 09, 2005

Why Ironman...

"WTC has the brand ownership of Hawaii," John begins. "Everyone registers [for IM races] to qualify for Kona - whether or not they have a snowball's chance in hell of making it. I knew I would never qualify, but if the wind's blowing in the right direction or everyone gets sick, I have a shot at one of my dreams. For my first ironman, that did it for me."

But was it worth the extra money, the jostling for an entry?

"It was absolutely worth the money I spent to go, worth the anxiety, worth the training. The finish line was almost better than an orgasm; it was the pinnacle of euphoria, so surreal you get lost in the moment and everything moves in slow motion. The noise level is deafening - everyone is cheering as loud as they can, for hours on end, for people they don't even know."