Saturday, April 02, 2005

What defines us.

So I'm flipping through the pages of my latest copy of Runner's World and I come across an ad which reads something like "Brother, Systems Analyst, Running Buddy...It's what we love that defines us." I found this interesting because I'd never include my work in the list of things I love.

If you read this blog, and I believe there are now 6 or so people who do so every now and then, you'll notice that I seldom if ever make reference to what I do for a living. I'm a software system's architect. I'm arguably one of the best. I don't talk about it, because I don't wish to be typecast as "a computer guy." Frankly I don't like technology that much. Okay, I'm writing a blog, so that sounds contradictory. What if I say, I like what some technology can do for us, like allowing us to express who we are in a public forum? I don't like technology for technology's sake. iPods? I can live without them. I get far more excited over a set of HED H3 wheels for a time trial bike. Keep your copy of Wired, I just bought a 24 pack of TP at Wal-Mart. Sure I'm on my laptop a lot. I'm reading articles on velonews.com, coolrunning.com, active.com, Insidetri.com, etc... See a pattern? A PR in a 10 mile time trial is far more satisfying than another "Best Innovation" award at work. In short, I wound up in tech because it pays well and I'm good at it, and that's about it.

I'm a liberal arts guy at heart. I'm a professional athlete in my mind. And most of all, I'm a husband and a daddy. Hmm, so I guess what we love really does define who we are.