Tuesday, February 01, 2005

What's more important the what or the why?

I'm planning on "blogging" tonight. I'm not exactly sure what to write about. Perhaps I should write a letter to my 10 month old daughter Alexandra, a letter which tells her about her dad. It would go something like this:

"Dear Alexandra,
I'm writing this letter so that in the future you can look at it and know how deeply you've changed my life. I feel more whole, more complete. I have a purpose now. You are so small and yet so much bigger than when your mommy and I brought you home. The two most special moments in every day are when I first enter your room in the morning, and you smile at me while holding your bear to your face, and when I enter the house after work and you see me and get all excited because Daddy's home. I love you."

Of course I could always write about my trip to the massage therapist. "I met my massage therapist, Meredith, for the first time today. She has really strong hands."

Work sucks (otherwise they wouldn't call it work, now would they), so I won't write about that.

Really I could write about most anything. It's not important. Hell, nobody reads these posts anyway. They're by me for me, and if you blog it's probably the same. So I guess I'm answering my own question. Why we blog is far more important than what we blog. We all know we're far more complex individuals than anyone could ever derive by observing us at work, or during our daily rituals. Our blogs help us to explore these lesser known parts of ourselves. Huh, come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty good topic, maybe I'll write about that.