Friday, January 28, 2005

For the record

Did I ever tell you the story of how Leanna and I met? I was a volunteer rowing coach 4 months out of college, and she was a member of the team. Okay sounds bad, right? It gets worse! The thing I first remembered about her, the paw prints on the butt of her sweatpants. She, of course, was drawn to the "older man" and staked her claim on me by telling the other women "he's mine." As that was over 16 years ago, I think we've proven our critics wrong.

All right, some of you might know that story, but do you know this one?

The "closest" Leanna and I ever became in that first year was when, as a bet with my rowers (and also to prove I was tougher than they), I carried Leanna on my back non-stop up the 36 floors to the top of the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh. I think it hurt her as much as me because I had such a tight grip on her legs that I cut off most of the blood flow for a while. Hmmm, maybe she's been paying my back ever since? ;-)