Saturday, October 30, 2004

The Future is Unwritten

I'm watching Grosse Pointe Blank. A banner displays "The Future is Unwritten." I've seen this movie 7 or 8 times and have never noticed the banner, and yet during a fight seen in Martin Blank's former high school, the banner is shown, in focus, many times. The director is trying to tell us something. Because I just noticed it today, is someone trying to tell me something?

Tomorrow I'm running the Cape Cod Marathon. I don't think destiny will make an appearance, so I'll save further discussion of the banner for a later date. I'm sure I'll think about the banner during the race. What else is there to do for 3 hours and 15 minutes? 3:15, that's the magic number. That's the number that's gets me back into the Boston Marathon for the first time since 1999.

I'm nervous. To say I've had very limited and only somewhat focused preparation for this event is an understatement. If you've read this Blog, you know what I've been doing. However, it's important to me that I do this. It's the first goal I've set for myself since we brought Alexandra home. It's important to me to add her to my life, not replace my life now that she's here. She won't be there tomorrow, but if I succeed she'll join me in Boston next April!

Will I run a 3:15? I have no idea. I've never run slower than a 3:14 in any marathon I've finished. The last time I ran this course, in 1996, I ran a 3:09. My personal best is a 3:04 set at Boston in 1998. And all that means nothing. Tomorrow, the only thing I know for sure is that I'll not quit, and it will hurt. So will it be good enough? Who knows? After all anything is possible. The future is unwritten.